Thursday, November 10, 2011

When to roar

At the start of this new school year we decided to place Evan in the online k-12 program called WAVA, this was done with much thought and mixed feelings.
At first he was doing well, doing his work, and then it was like a wall came up, and it all just stopped. Evan stopped logging on, and stopped completing assignments. Emails, and call ensured, and then came the threats that they would remove him from the program.
This is not a happy Mommy. I am not a tough Mama, my kids are not ever forced to do anything, but when it comes to this, we have to do something. Evan is 16, he needs to understand that the choices he makes now will impact him for the rest of his life.



But...how do you do that? How do you convince someone that is of the age where they know everything?
So, I roared, and I will keep roaring until he gets it. I have no choice in the matter. I want so much for him, and I know that he also wants a lot for himself, so if I have to be the mean mama right now, so be it!
I do unschool/homeschool for a reason, but we feel that this is the best option for him at this point. He would like to become an attorney, that is a lot of work, and this is the work he needs to do now, so that way he can become what he wants.
So the roar will go on, and the battle has just began...and I hate having battles with my kids!

1 comment:

  1. It is NOT "mean" to direct and yes, force your children to do things that you know are best for them. They don't know how to make their best decisions yet, and you have to show them. And you CAN, because you're the mommy! :)

    ReplyDelete